Sunday, January 11, 2009

Enchilada Chicken

I just had to do a quick post on Julian's and my dinner tonight.....Enchilada Chicken, straight from The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook (with one thing added). So lately we've been trying to eat more healthy, include good fats (like those from almonds, olives, dark chocolate, avocados, etc.). I've been trying to really watch our portion size, up our intake of veggies (our fruit intake has been great for awhile now). All of that to say.......Enchilada Chicken was a big hit. For anyone who is interested, here's the recipe, with 4 servings (I halved it so that we could try it but not be stuck with the leftovers in case we didn't like it):

Enchilada Chicken

4 (4-ouncse) trimmed boneless, skinless chicken breasts

2 teaspoons salt-free Mexican or Southwest seasoning (they suggest Mrs. Dash Southwest
Chipotle....but Safeway didn't have it so I used Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy and it was great!)

Olive oil spray

4 tablespoons mild, medium, or hot enchilada sauce (we used hot......my husband grew up in New
Mexico.....I've gotten used to hot :)

2 ounces (1 cup) finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese (they suggest Cabot's)

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro (I probably used 2 tablespoons on our 2 chicken
breasts)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Season each chicken breast evenly on all sides with the seasoning.

Place a large ovenproof nonstick skilled over high heat. When hot, lightly mist with the olive oil spray and add the chicken. Cook, turning once, for 1-2 minutes per side, or just until the chicken is golden brown on the outsides.

Remove the pan from heat and top each chicken breast with 1 tablespoon of the enchilada sauce, followed by one-fourth of the cheese and one-fourth of the cilantro. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 4-6 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink inside and the cheese is melted (I cooked ours for 10 minutes).

Nutritional info per serving: 162 calories, 31 g protein, 1 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat, 71 mg cholesterol, trace fiber, 230 mg sodium

* I added 2 teaspoons of sliced olives to the top of the chicken (on top of the cilantro, so that we'd be getting some good fats -- and because I knew Julian would like the inclusion of black olives to make it more enchilada-ish).

The result: A WINNER!! We both loved it and it was extra flavorful and healthy! We added 1/2 cup cooked wild rice (not mixed with any other rice, just straight wild), a tossed salad and green grapes as sides to round it all off.

Also, a special thanks to my awesome friend Stacey for her 3 cheese spaghetti recipe (that I added spinach to), that was also a big hit. We had that on Friday AND Saturday nights (and will probably have it again tomorrow night!).

3 comments:

Jeana said...

YUM!!!! I'm gonna try this!!!

Brown Family Blog said...

hey Meredith, I saw you had a blog on FB so I popped over here. Looks yummy. You need to take pics of your yummy food. :o) Jerm and I try to eat healthy but honestly I have backslidden a bit with this pregnancy. Chocolate has been consumed a lot in the last month though it wasnt in the beginning...couldnt stomach it. I will have to check back to see if you post any other great recipes. :o)Oh and LOVE the biggest loser.

TexasNeals said...

wow, that sounds so good. we'll have to give it a try! the whole meal sounds wonderful! SO healthy! i love it!
glad you liked the spaghetti. it goes a long way, huh! :) ha!