Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Inauguration -- from the perspective of an Annapolitan

It kinda feels like yesterday was the start of another new year. When I was finally able to sit down and watch President Obama's inaugural speech last night I was really inspired. I have such great hopes that there will be more care and concern on the part of our generation to step up and be a part of this nation. I have heard repeatedly from teens, college students, and young adults in general in the past few years that "it doesn't really matter what happens in DC or with government or what has happened in the past in history. It doesn't effect me." When Julian moved here from Orange County, California in October, 2005, he was shocked to find out just how much people in this area were aware of government activities. Sure, not everyone is involved, but there is more exposure and news overall (after all, "local" news is "national" news). Having grown up in Northern Virginia (yes, we kind of act like we're a separate state from the rest of Virginia), I feel like I have always been exposed to government. My family and I went to the inauguration of George H.W. Bush in 1989 -- it was incredible! I felt like such a part of history! For senior year Government class we were required to campaign for the party of our choice and put together an extensive project on the impact of those for whom we campaigned and their desired role in the government. Even though I've recently pulled away from Republican party affiliation and become more Independent, I was heavily Republican at the time and I remember campaigning for Tom Davis of Virginia. It really made me feel like I was a part of things. Then I move to Oklahoma in 1996 for college and I feel COMPLETELY clueless about what is going on in the world. It was just a bizarre feeling after living around the DC metro area since 1985. The same experience continued into grad school in Abilene, TX, then in Lubbock, TX. CLUELESS about government, not as easy to be aware since I'd been spoiled with local national news. Yes, I could still have sought out information....but that was a little too time-consuming while reading EXTENSIVELY for school.

So back to Julian. He had TREMENDOUS culture shock when he moved from Hollywood-infatuated Orange County to the Government/PC-infatuated DC area. It was really neat to see him start learning more and more about the dynamics of this presidential election, the electoral college, the various regional viewpoints, and the particular ballot initiatives for Maryland. Yes, he became quite harsh and forthright at times.....even downright offensive at times. It was still exciting to see him stretching his political wings, though :) Both of us were inspired by yesterday, though -- really wanting to become more involved in local service to the community and government activities, wanting to take more ownership of the economy and its effect on our bank accounts and future goals.....really wanting to move forward. It's nice to feel a part of things and inspired.....I guess I didn't expect it to come from the inaugural speech from our new President.....but God really can work in mysterious ways!

So while I didn't go to the inauguration it was still nice to be so close to it! This week I've had TONS of clients (which is a good thing)....just a little overwhelming as it makes me feel like I'm completely zapped at the end of the day (which, if it's Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday ends at 7 or 8pm) and I'm not worth much of anything to my sweet hubby. I'll write more about that later :)

Back to our new Pres......here are a few of my new favorite pics :) Enjoy!

LOVE this pic! LOVED her dress!!

Woohoo!

Already working hard. I'm excited about his new government transparency initiative
(to include transparency about salaries over $100K!)

And now back to work....

No comments: